80% of American adults will experience some type of lower back pain during their lifetime, and back pain is the leading cause of disability in the U.S.—it’s no wonder that the team at Noracare Wellness treats back pain more than any other type of pain. Why do adults suffer from so much back pain, and what can you do about it?
5 REASONS WHY YOU MAY SUFFER FROM BACK PAIN
Here are some of the top causes of this often chronic condition:
- A sedentary lifestyle. Even avid gym-goers likely spend the majority of their life sedentary. We have cars and public transportation to get us where we need to go, and many of us sit at a desk for work. This means the spine is often in a slumped position, which causes weakness and atrophy.
- Being overweight. Adults in Western countries have been steadily increasing their average weight for several decades. The new “normal” would have been considered overweight just a couple of generations ago. Excess weight puts a lot of pressure on the back, and eventually wear and tear will take its toll.
- Poor posture. Not only are we living a more sedentary lifestyle, but we’re also doing so without sitting up nice and tall as our parents urged us to do. We often sit with our shoulders slumped forward as we play on our phones. This exacerbates sedentary lifestyles as we keep our spine in the same C-curved position for more of our waking hours.
- We’re living longer. Simply aging puts a lot of strain on our spine, which is a complex interconnected system. As Westerners live longer, we’re simply at a higher risk for every condition related to age. Our bones get more brittle as we get older, and the spinal discs can be more prone to injury.
- Playing through the pain. Whether it’s ignoring the pain or reaching for over the counter medication to numb it, we’re good at masking the pain until it’s unbearable. This can make a minor or moderate back pain skyrocket to debilitating back pain. The sooner you get treatment, the sooner a proper diagnosis and pain plan can be implemented.
Ease your pain and schedule an appointment with the team at Noracare Wellness today.
Back pain is one of the most common complaints so start treating your back pain today, and schedule a consultation with Noracare Wellness today by calling 201-880-1400.